Tuesday, July 28, 2009

C-206

So I finally got checked out on the Cessna 206 yesterday. Its been a while since I've flown a high-wing... 3 years now I think. We went up intending to do a few circuits dual before some solo practice, but after the first one he told me to go drop him off on the ramp and sent me back up for a few more by myself.

The 206 is much more responsive in the roll axis then both the Cherokee (which is lethargic by any comparison) as well as my Twinkie. Due to the large rudder it also has lots of yaw authority. Conversely it seems to have a much heavier elevator pull/push.

I think of the comparison like this: The Cherokee is more airplane-like, whereas the 206 feels more like a flying-machine contraption with the wing struts, wheels visibly hanging down, and taxi characteristics. I forgot how wobbly Cessna's are on the ground - there's lots of spring in those steel leaf landing gear compared to the rock solid taxi-ing characteristics of the low-wing Pipers. Every bump causes a side-to-side rocking motion during taxi.

Our 206 is equipped with the Robinson STOL kit, which includes wing fences and drooping ailerons to assist the main flaps. Takeoff performance is incredible; by the time you've finished advancing the throttle the airplane is almost ready to come off the ground when its empty. Climbout happens in a strange almost nose-down attitude until the flaps are retracted.

There's something about the construction of the 206 compared to the Cherokee that says it was meant to be a workhorse. Its solid. The Cherokee feels more like it was built to be a private plane that has been pressed into Commerical service. I can't provide any real evidence, its just the vibe that I get. There's also no argument when it comes to which is a better bush plane.

All in all the 206 is an interesting bird to fly, but I think I prefer the Cherokee for my day-to-day flights. Its about 5-10 knots faster, easier to load, easier to enter and exit, easier to fuel, and much more stable on the ground.

1 comment:

  1. The six-seat Model 206 was introduced as a 1964 model and was built until 1986, when Cessna halted production of its single-engine product. It was then re-introduced in 1998 and remains in production in 2008

    ReplyDelete